Best Bench Grinder in 2017 [Detailed Buying Guide with Reviews]
If you are into woodworking, there are many tools you may need in your workshop, and a bench grinder is one of the most important tools. You do not need to own a larger tool if you are not planning to use it for industrial applications. There are many compact grinders on the market that you can get for different projects. So, what exactly is a bench grinder and how would you pick the best one?
In simple terms, it’s a tool with two spindles and a motor at the center. You can use the tool for different applications such as grinding off the rust, sharpening tools and smoothening among others.
Many top brands produce the best bench grinder which includes SKIL, WEN, DeWalt, Metabo, and Jet just to mention a few. Researching the current position of the market, we are presenting you the top ten reviews you should consider while buying.
- How to Choose the Best Bench Grinder?
- What are the Benefits of Using a Bench Grinder?
- Ten Best Bench Grinders’ Reviews
- WEN 4276 6-Inch Bench Grinder
- Craftsman 9-21154 Variable Speed 6-Inch Grinding Center
- JET 577103 10-Inch Industrial Bench Grinder
- SKIL 3380-01 6-Inch Bench Grinder
- Dewalt DW756 6-Inch Heavy-Duty Bench Grinder
- Metabo DS 200 8-Inch Compact Bench Grinder
- Jet 577102 8-Inch Heavy-Duty Bench Grinder
- DeWalt DW758
- Sunex 5002A Bench Grinder
- Baldor 662R 6-Inch 1/3-Horsepower Industrial Duty Big Red Grinder
- Final Words
How to Choose the Best Bench Grinder?
Before you purchase a bench grinder, you should go through some factors because they come in different sizes, styles, and price tags to get you the best out of it.
We have compiled this buying guide to help you choose the one that you need.
The motor is a major component in a grinder because it determines its performance. A larger motor will provide more power as compared to a small motor. Choosing the right motor size will highly depend on the tasks that you want to do. If you are handling big projects like cutting tough metals, a big motor will be ideal. On the other hand, if you are dealing with simple DIY projects, you can pick a bench press with a small or medium-sized motor.
Size and Weight
The weight of the bench grinder depends on its size. A smaller tool weighs less as compared to a larger tool. It is great if you ensure that the tool you are purchasing fits well on the table to provide you with a comfortable working space.
Bench grinders come with different types of wheels which can be used depending on the task at hand. For instance, coarse grit grinding wheels are ideal for sharpening tools while fine grit provides finer and sharp results.
A grinder with buffing wheels is perfect for polishing metals and wire wheels remove rust effectively on different metals. It is important if you check the wheel while purchasing because some are stronger in cutting metals as compared to others.
Other Considerations while Picking up the Best Bench Grinder
To get the perfect one for you, it is better if you check those things mentioned below. Considering these things might bring the best ever result.
- Cast iron base
- Safety features
- Wet grinding ability
- Cooling system
- Sharpening tools
What are the Benefits of Using a Bench Grinder?
There are many reasons why handymen use bench grinders for handling small to large applications. Whether the work involves wood, stone, metal or hard plastic, a grinder is a very versatile unit that you need in your workshop.
Here are the benefits of having one with you while working,
If you love DIY projects or other carpentry projects like building cabinets, decks, and other woodwork, owning a grinder will help you significantly in removing unwanted materials very easily. With this tool, it is noticeably trouble-free to come up with ergonomic wood furniture.
You will also be benefitted a lot with this useful tool when you are painting. As you know, you cannot paint on rough surfaces. You need to make the surface smooth before starting a new painting so that you can get rid of old ones. With this tool, you can do the work pretty easy and fast as compared to using sandpaper which can be very tiring and boring.
Plumbing usually involves cutting pipes, especially for demolition work. If you get uneven cuts, you can flatten the surfaces using a grinder. These are also very useful when cutting through floor and wall tiles when plumbers need to get to the pipes underground.
You can also be benefitted a lot when you are using grinders in flooring projects. This can include raising nail heads, smoothening out-blocked joints or removing anything else sticking to the floor.
Ten Best Bench Grinders’ Reviews
To make the busy life easier, we have reviewed some of the bests on the market for most DIY lovers and professional craftsmen, who are looking for the perfect one.
WEN 4276 6-Inch Bench Grinder
Are you in need of handling small scale projects? The WEN 4276 6-Inch is the right tool for this particular job. This lightweight grinder will help you save a lot of money you use when replacing dull and rusty tools.
Wondering if you can use the tool even in low light conditions? Yes, you can! The grinder is designed with a flexible work light that illuminates the workplace to bring about the best precision and visibility during work.
The grinder doesn’t produce maddening noise during operation. It has a powerful 2.1 amp motor that gives you quick start-ups and a steady operation speed of up to 3450.
- It has an adjustable tool rest
- Very powerful and quiet motor
- Designed with protective eye guards to prevent sparks and debris
- Designed with a quality and stable cast iron base
- Compact and lightweight
- Designed with grit wheels for material removal
- It’s affordable & worth your money
- Customers complain of wobbling wheels
- It can be problematic while polishing on high-density stuff.
Craftsman 9-21154 Variable Speed 6-Inch Grinding Center
The Craftsman 9-21154 is another great tool that provides you with versatility when you are handling grinding and sharpening jobs. The grinder provides you with a variable 6-inch grinding center and variable speed control. You can choose between 2000 to 3450 rpm.
Craftsman 9-21154 Variable Speed 6-Inch Grinding Center features large and adjustable tool rests with patented attachment to provide you with accurate bit sharpening. It has a variable speed control ranging from 2000 to 3450 rpm, and this makes it perfect for different applications.
It is designed with a large oversized cast iron base that provides you with stability when you are working because there are no vibrations at all. The grinder also includes a water cooling tray and a handheld wheel dresser which enhance its operation.
- It has a wider clear eye
- Designed with quick-change wheel guards
- The water cooling tray prevents it from overheating
- Features variable speed control from 2000 to 3450 rpm
- Designed with a flexible work light
- Its wider & heavier steel base helps reducing vibration
- It has a handheld wheel dresser
- The motor could have been more powerful though it’s enough efficient
- Its cooling tray is made of plastic
JET 577103 10-Inch Industrial Bench Grinder
JET 577103 10-Inch is an ideal grinder for sharpening, polishing, buffing, removing burs from metal and grinding. It features clear eye-shields on the top of the wheel that allow you to get closer when working and still protecting your eyes.
It is designed with 1 horsepower 115-volt motor that operates at a speed of 1725 rpm to provide you with enough power for heavy grinding. You can expect maximum stability when you are working with this tool. It has a rubber foot that ensures there is no unwanted movement during operation.
This tool features a heavy duty construction making it very powerful. It also has a long life motor so that you can use the grinder every day for different applications.
- It has enclosed pre-lubricated ball bearing
- Large eye shields with quick adjustment
- Comes with a two-year warranty
- Has a long life motor
- Designed with cast iron wheel guards and dust vents
- No cons for this grinder so far
SKIL 3380-01 6-Inch Bench Grinder
When it comes to powerful and quality power tools, SKIL 3380-01 6-Inch Bench Grinder is one of the leading brands that provide the one. If you need to try their product, you can get the SKIL 3380-01 6-Inch, and you will love working with this tool.
The grinder is designed with built-in LED lights above the two wheels that increase visibility hence giving you the opportunity to get your job done perfectly well even in poorly lit working environments.
The tool is packed with incredible safety features that promote a safe operation. It has eye shields that provide increased safety. On top of that, the grinder features a solid cast iron base with rubber feet that is easy to mount on a bench top for improved stability.
- The medium and coarse wheels grind different types of materials
- Designed with adjustable tool rest
- It has a powerful & quiet motor
- Has built-in LED work light for improved visibility
- Eye shields provide increased safety
- Comes with one year warranty and 30 days money back guarantee
- Durable rubber feet provide increased stability
- Customers complain of poor packing hence they receive the unit broken
- Could be problematic for heavy tasks
Dewalt DW756 6-Inch Heavy-Duty Bench Grinder
Are you looking for a great helping hand that will handle heavy duty grinding applications? If you are, then you should consider purchasing the Dewalt DW756 6-Inch grinder. The tool features powerful 5/8 HP induction motor that makes it perfect for tough applications.
It is designed with industrial cast iron base and a quality motor house for prolonged life and durability. The speed of the motor of the grinder runs at 3450 rpm which is perfect for high-speed material removal.
The tool is backed up by a three-year warranty that covers all defects to workmanship and faulty materials. When you buy the tool, you will also enjoy one-year free service from Dewalt where the company maintains the tools and replaces any worn out parts as a result of normal use.
- Features a powerful motor for heavy-duty grinding applications
- Runs at high speed of 3450 rpm for fast material removal
- Features industrial cast iron base and motor housing are strong for durability
- Carries three-year limited warranty and one year of free service
- The tool comes at an affordable price
- Features precision machined aluminum tool rest to position your work accurately
- Designed with adjustable tool rest
- Poor design and complaints of wobbling wheel
- It may vibrate excessively
Metabo DS 200 8-Inch Compact Bench Grinder
This is another top bench grinder that you can purchase for handling industrial tasks. As compared to other grinders, this one is little heavy, but its weight makes it very stable when you are using it. You will not experience any vibration while working with this tool.
This sturdy machine is perfect for industrial applications, and it is designed with a maintenance-free motor. It features strong die-cast aluminum protective covers that enhance the durability of the machine.
The grinder is also designed with protective cover bayonet lock that provides quick and simple disc change. It has a no-load speed of 3750 rpm that makes it perfect for tough jobs.
- The grinder is silent and works with minimum vibration
- It is sturdy and balanced
- Designed with a maintenance-free induction motor
- Robust die-cast aluminum protective covers
- Protective cover bayonet lock
- powerful motor for heavy and complex industrial tasks
- Expensive and heavy
- Less attention to adjustable tool rest
- It might wobble a bit
Jet 577102 8-Inch Heavy-Duty Bench Grinder
This is an ideal grinder for cleaning, sharpening, removing rust, removing burs from metal and buffing among other industrial grade applications. This grinder is designed with industrial grade 36-grit and 60-grit 8 inch wheels that provide maximum versatility when you are working.
It features a powerful 1 horsepower motor with a speed of up to 3450 rpm that provides the required power for heavy grinding. When it comes to stability, expect the best from this unit. It sits on a rubber foot that prevents unnecessary movement. You can even bolt the grinder to get maximum stability.
Another great feature of the grinder is the large eye shields with a quick adjustment that provide maximum safety when you are working.
- Comes with two-year limited warranty
- Designed with heavy duty guarded toggle switch
- Has a powerful motor with a high speed
- Features enclosed pre-lubricated ball bearings
- The large eye shields with quick adjustment promote safety
- The wheels are not better quality
When you are choosing any power tool, you need a versatile model that can handle most of the simple and hard applications. You can get all your grinding tasks done with the DeWalt DW758. It features a ¾ HP induction motor that offers superior power for industrial grinding jobs.
The grinder has a motor that runs at 3600 rpm to provide high-speed material removal. It is also designed with rugged cast iron base and a motor housing that provides durability and a long life.
For accurate results, this grinder is designed with a precision machined aluminum tool rest. It also has rear exhaust ports in the wheel guards that provide a smooth operation.
- Provides accurate grinding
- The wheel guards have exhaust ports that provide smooth operation
- The motor provides high speed for faster material removal
- Has a rugged cast-iron base and a motor housing that provides durability and a long life
- Complaints of wobbling and vibrations
Sunex 5002A Bench Grinder
You can also choose to pick this grinder that is designed with a ball bearing construction to provide smooth grinding operations. The tool is designed with heavy duty cast iron base that makes it stable and durable.
If you have experienced problems mounting your grinder, things are better now with this unit. It is made with mounting holes and rubber feet for simple mounting on stands and workbenches.
The grinder comes with two grinding wheels, course 36 grit and medium 60 grit to handle different kinds of applications. If you are working in a poorly illuminated area, never mind because the grinder has built-in bright and flexible work light.
- Designed with mounting holes and rubber feet
- The cast iron base provides durability
- The built-in work light provides illumination
- Each of the wheels has a protective guard and adjustable eye shield
- The adjustable eye shield provides protection
- It has a powerful motor
- It is quite heavy
- lack of rear exhaust ports
- It is not vibration resistant that much
Baldor 662R 6-Inch 1/3-Horsepower Industrial Duty Big Red Grinder
Working with dull tools might compromise the quality of work. Again, if you consider the cost of replacing all dull tools, it will be very expensive. In such a case, you can get a bench grinder to help you sharpen your tools for different applications.
With the Baldor 662R 6-Inch, you can do all those and much more. The unit has 1/3 hp single phase 115 motor with a speed of 3600 rpm that provides plenty of power for sharpening tools.
It is designed with 36 grit wheel and wire wheel which work well in removing rust, metal burrs and scale on all types of metal equipment.
- Comes with three-year warranty
- You can tilt the tool rests at any angle
- Features cast iron housing to withstand professional applications
- Has a strong and powerful motor with high speed
- It is heavy
You don’t need to be a professional to buy the best bench grinder. Even for small DIY projects, having these tools will significantly boost the way you do your work.
Pick any tool that fulfills your requirements perfectly. We have tried to review the perfect ones above which can be used for different applications, and they would definitely provide satisfactory results.[schema type=”review” url=”https://toolvast.com/best-bench-grinder/” name=”Best Bench Grinder Reviews” description=”your search for the best bench grinder product reviews ends here!” rev_name=”10 Best Bench Grinder reviews” rev_body=”1. WEN 4276 6-Inch Bench Grinder 2. Dewalt DW756 6-Inch Heavy-Duty Bench Grinder 3. Jet 577102 8-Inch Heavy-Duty Bench Grinder” author=”William” pubdate=”2017-09-05″ user_review=”5″ min_review=”4″ max_review=”4.9″ ]