10 Best Wood Routers with the Reviews
There are so many tools that you need in your workshop and each of them is designed to perform different tasks. One important tool that you should not miss having is a wood router.
How will you fish out the best wood routers among the many types available on the market?
I have made everything easy for you by providing you with top recommended ones that you can pick so you do not have to go through the trouble of jumping from one site to the other.
On this article, you will get reviews of quality routers that can handle simple to hard applications.
- Types of this Tool
- How to Choose a Perfect One?
- The Benefits Of Using Wood Routers
- Recommended the 10 Best Wood Routers
- 1. Bosch 1617EVSPK 12 Amp 2-1/4-Horsepower Plunge and Fixed Base Variable Speed Router Kit
- 2. DEWALT DW618 2-1/4 HP Electronic Variable-Speed Fixed-Base Router
- 3. Bosch MRC23EVSK 2.3 HP Combination Plunge & Fixed-Base Variable-Speed Router Pack
- 4. Bosch 1617EVS 2-1/4 HP Variable-Speed Router
- 5. DEWALT DWP611PK 1.25 HP Max Torque Variable Speed Compact Router Combo Kit
- 6. Bosch PR20EVSK Colt Palm Grip 5.6 Amp 1-Horsepower Fixed-Base Variable-Speed Router
- 7. Hitachi M12VC 2-1/4 Peak HP Variable Speed Fixed Base Router
- 8. Makita RD1101 2-1/4-Horsepower Variable Speed D-Handle Router
- 9. Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 HP Compact Router
- 10. SKIL 1817 120V 1-3/4 HP Fixed Base Router
- Final Words
Types of this Tool
If you are looking for this tool in the market as a beginner, you might probably lack more information. Let’s first start by knowing the types of wood routers so that you can pick the right product that will help you create amazing wooden finishes that will blow the mind of your clients.
There are two types of wood routers, plunge routers, and fixed base routers. A plunge router has a spring-loaded base and this makes it easy to push the bit into the wood. This means that you can lock the base at a certain depth and you can also unlock the depth release to change the depth of the bit. These routers offer more versatility as compared to fixed routers.
On the other hand, fixed base routers are ideal for the beginners and it works well when mounted on a table. They work best in edge cuts and molding that need straight line precision. They are lighter that plunge routers and very straightforward to use.
How to Choose a Perfect One?
Would you purchase a wood router without thinking about some important factors? Of course not, here are some points that will guide you as you pick the most qualified one.
Before you pick any router, it is worth considering the type of grips. If you overlook this feature, you might end up with a router that is hard on your wrist. Choose one with good grips to boost the overall comfort when you are working.
A wood router with variable speed is very essential. It helps you set the required speed depending on the material that you are working on. This prevents burning your wood from running things at a high RPM.
The power of the motor is another thing that you should not forget when you are purchasing one. A router with a high horsepower means that you will get more cutting power but this can make the tool heavy and require more torque. Depending on the type of application that you want to use the router, you can choose between a high or low horsepower.
- Type of router- Do you want a trim router, mid-sized router or a full-sized router?
- Base type-You can choose between a fixed base or plunge router.
- Router accessories such as bits and tables
- Does it have a D-handle base?
- The cost of the wood router
- The brand
The Benefits Of Using Wood Routers
- Help you do more work with less effort in less time
- They provide accurate cutting, edging and trimming
- Can be used for depth and height management
- Make work easier and safe while still providing quality effects
- Offer a safe work surrounding for the woodworkers
- Increase production and performance
Recommended the 10 Best Wood Routers
My team and I carried an extensive research testing and analyzing different wood routers. We were able to come up with a list of the best routers that you can buy which are reviewed below.
1. Bosch 1617EVSPK 12 Amp 2-1/4-Horsepower Plunge and Fixed Base Variable Speed Router Kit
Picking up a wood router can be challenging because there are so many options available to you on the market. With an incredible tool like the Bosch 1617EVSPK 12 Amp, you can be sure of creating cuts in different wood boards and other decorations. This tool could be one of the best wood routers.
What makes this wood router different from the traditional saws?
There are so many features that set the toll from other conventional models on the market. This one brags of a powerful, variable speed motor with a soft start and this gives you enough power to handle even the toughest task. This motor operates at a variable speed of 8000 to 25000 rpm so it is easy to set the required speed when you are dealing with different materials.
When you are buying any tool for your workshop, you should consider its durability. This one is designed with a rugged design that makes it more durable. Its housing base is made of aluminum and it also features a power switch that is fully dust-sealed for durability. The tool also comes with a carrying case to keep it in good condition when you are not using it.
Another thing that you will love when you are using the Bosch 1617EVSPK 12 Amp wood router is its accurate fixed and plunge base cuts. This ensures that you get the necessary components which are required for fixed-depth routing and plunging routing as well. With its microfine bit depth adjustment systems, on the bases, you can be sure of accurate and fast bit depth adjustment.
- Has a T-handle hex height adjustment wrench
- Comes with a carrying case
- Has a powerful motor with variable speed settings
- This wood router is highly durable
- Features a comfortable forged 16mm and 24 mm bit change wrenches.
- Wide base openings to suit larger bits
- Designed with contoured side handles
- Comes with one-year limited warranty
- Very difficult to plug into the plunge base
- It doesn’t have built-in shaft stop and light
2. DEWALT DW618 2-1/4 HP Electronic Variable-Speed Fixed-Base Router
Another great tool that you can buy to compliment your woodworking tasks is the DEWALT DW618 2-1/4 HP. This is a top product from a reputable company and it is designed to make your work precise.
The wood router is powered 2 ¼ HP motor with 12.0 amp electronic variable speed motor that offers the necessary power to handle all types of projects. You can depend on this router to rout through even hardwood and get the desired results. The variable speed of the tool ranges from 8000-24000 rpm and it also features a soft start to reduce startup force and bring about effective control.
This wood router also features an adjustable tool-free steel motor cam lock that makes it easy to adjust the depth, solid locking, and quick base changes. The tool also features micro-fine depth adjustment that provides you with precise depth adjustment with an increase of 1/64 inch.
It is also designed with a quick release motor latches that bring about fast and easy motor pack removal for simple and bit and base changes.
- It has a spindle lock that allows one-wrench bit changes.
- It is easy to reach plunge lever and switch for effective control when you are routing.
- Has a powerful motor for hard jobs
- The quick release motor latches to provide effective motor pack removal for the base and bit changes.
- It has a detachable cord set that allows you to use the same motor pack for all base changes.
- Has rubber overmold handles and a low gravity design make the tool comfortable when you are using.
- Features a dust-sealed switch that provides longevity
- The heavy-duty precision machined die-cast aluminum motor and base make the tool durable.
- Difficulty in adjusting the router bit height
- You need a router table to get a clear view of what you are doing.
3. Bosch MRC23EVSK 2.3 HP Combination Plunge & Fixed-Base Variable-Speed Router Pack
There are so many factors that you need to consider when you are acquiring a new wood router to suit your needs. The most important things that you should check is power and durability. This is exactly what you get from the Bosch MRC23EVSK 2.3 HP.
It has a trigger controlled power system featuring a power switch in the fixed base and in the plunge base to give you more control at work. You will also enjoy the variable speed dial that allows you to set the desired speed for every task.
Comfort is another aspect you will get when you are working with this tool. It is designed with ergonomic, contoured soft grip handles making it very convenient for all-day tasks.
The wood router has a powerful variable motor that can rout even the toughest material. The 15 amp motor with variable speed that ranges from 10000 to 25000 rpm makes it easy to handle different tasks. With its constant response circuitry, it can maintain a constant speed throughout the cutting process with minimal torque.
It also feels very stable during operation. The router’s fixed base has threaded holes that provide you with an easy mounting to router tables. The plunge base also provides a smooth plunge action, depth rod and spindle lock plunge lever for very precise plunge routing.
- Has LED lighting for the best vision
- It has a swivel cord so you do not have to rotate the motor during depth adjustment.
- Features a powerful motor with variable speed
- Provides a smooth plunge action
- Contoured soft grip handles providing control and comfort
- Has threaded holes for mounting on router tables
- Customers complain of the plunge action sticking
4. Bosch 1617EVS 2-1/4 HP Variable-Speed Router
A wood router is basically one of the best tools that many woodworkers value. The tools work well in helping you to create joints, shape wood edges, hollow out grooves among other tasks. If you are looking for the best one as a beginner, you can try Bosch 1617EVS 2-1/4 HP.
It provides you with the 12-amp motor and a soft-start feature which makes the motor reduce the torque during startups. This eventually gives you a smooth transition and easy handling. It has a variable speed of up to 25000 rpm and constant response circuitry monitor for maintaining the speed under load.
This wood router is also compatible with 1/4inch, 3/8 inch and 8mm collets for router bits. You can also use it upright or even choose to mount it to provide you with convenience.
As you know, woodworking jobs produce a lot of dust and debris which can end up compromising the performance of your machine. To prevent this from happening, it has a dust-sealed power switch that ensures sawdust and other debris stay away to promote optimal operation and durability.
- Made with rugged aluminum base and housing
- It monitors and maintains the right RPM for consistent performance
- Has a powerful motor with variable speed
- Provides accurate fixed base cuts
- Comes with mounting hardware
- Has an above table height adjustment wrench
- Dust-sealed power switch keeps debris away
- Difficult to adjust the base
5. DEWALT DWP611PK 1.25 HP Max Torque Variable Speed Compact Router Combo Kit
If you want to get advanced results in your woodworking tasks, then choosing the most qualified kit is a must. Wood routers are both ideals for both professional and amateurs and you can use them for making holes, shaping, trimming and cutting among other uses.
Have you tried the DEWALT DWP611PK 1.25 HP wood router? If not, you should think of buying this tool and you will get the best results even in tough applications. The router is powered by a durable 1.25hp motor that gives the required power to handle small to tough applications.
You will also enjoy the variable speed control that helps you to set the required speed setting depending on the job. The no-load speed range from 16000-27000rpm.
What if you are working in an area with poor visibility and do not want to compromise the results?
This tool has got you covered because it has a dual LED and clear sub-base to ensure that you get maximum visibility during work.
- Aluminum motor housing and base construction for durability
- The dual LED and clear sub-base provide illumination.
- Has a powerful motor with variable speed
- Designed with overmold rubber handles that provide comfort
- Has a large plunge base for stability
- It is reasonably priced.
- Not perfect for extended period jobs.
6. Bosch PR20EVSK Colt Palm Grip 5.6 Amp 1-Horsepower Fixed-Base Variable-Speed Router
Looking for a router for trimming, edge forming, deck planks and hinge mortising? The Bosch PR20EVSK Colt Palm Grip 5.6 Amp is the right tool for the job. This is a very convenient tool designed with a palm-grip design with soft grips hence making it very comfortable.
The router is designed with a powerful motor to handle tough jobs in a comfortable and easy way, unlike other bigger routers. It comes with user-friendly features that enhance flexibility, comfort, and reliability.
No trouble when working with the router because everything is straightforward. It can accept standard bits measuring ¼ inches to give you the needed flexibility.
On top of that, it has a spindle lock on the motor that assures you of easy one-wrench bit changes. There is also a shaft wrench for those people who would like to use two wrenches.
- Has a quality aluminum grip and comfortable soft grip
- The router is easy to use
- Provides you with variable speed
- Designed with a powerful 6 amp motor
- Provides depth adjustment for precise results
- Has constant response circuitry for stable motor speed
- Beginners might find it tough to use
7. Hitachi M12VC 2-1/4 Peak HP Variable Speed Fixed Base Router
Hitachi is one of the top brands in the production of power tools and this includes this wood routers with the best quality.
If you want to try their product, you can get the Hitachi M12VC 2-1/4 that has a very powerful motor and electronic speed control to allow make smooth cuts in different materials.
The best thing about this router is that it provides you with a quiet working environment because it has a very powerful and quiet motor that operates very silent. The 11 amp motor is strong enough for tough applications. It produces no load speed of 8000-24000 rpm.
This tool provides you with quick and easy depth adjustments with its two-stage motor. It has a release clamp that makes it simple to change from fixed to plunge base. Additionally, the nickel-plated motor housing also makes depth adjustment easy and reduces scratch and stains on the body of the tool.
If you are working with any power tool, you will agree with me when I say that comfort and control is very important, right? This is why the tool is ergonomically designed to ensure that you feel comfortable and get in control when you are at work.
- Provides you with quiet operation
- Easy depth adjustment
- Has electronic speed control
- Ergonomically designed to provide comfort and control
- The nickel plated motor provides smooth depth adjustment
- It is difficult to slide down the plunge adapter
8. Makita RD1101 2-1/4-Horsepower Variable Speed D-Handle Router
Your workshop is not complete if you do not have a wood router. After all, how are you going to handle tasks such as cutting, trimming, window shaping, pattern cutting, chamfering and window cutting among others?
This tool is a great addition to your tools and gives you the opportunity to perform different tasks with precision and accuracy. For this matter, try the Makita RD1101 and you will love working with it.
This router features 2-1/4 HP with a very powerful 11 amp motor with variable speed control. You only need to set the right speed operation depending on the material that you are working on.
It has a soft start feature that provides you with smooth start-ups. On top of that, there is all-ball bearing construction that boosts its longevity. To add on durability, the router features a rugged aluminum motor housing with 3-1/4 inches diameter that provides easy handling. Its sub-base also accepts industry standard template guides to offer you with convenience.
- Has a strong motor with variable speed
- It accepts standard template guides
- Has a convenient D-handle design
- The soft start ensures that there is no startup shock and this increases the speed of the motor
- Features an industrial cam-lock that provides easy depth adjustment and motor removal
- Comfortable and easy to use
- No cons so far
9. Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 HP Compact Router
When you have a look at the wood routers on the market, not many of them will provide you with precision and performance in a compact design.
This is why Makita decided to come up with the Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 HP Compact Router that provides you with all those and much more in just one package.
It features a compact design and well suited for different routing applications. Its slim and ergonomic design not only provides you with easy handling but also makes the tool very comfortable.
This router has a 6 ½ amp 1-1/4 horsepower motor that provides it with plenty of power to perform different tasks. It features a soft start feature that reduces the torque on the motor so the motor doesn’t experience too much stress. When it comes to variable speed, it ranges from 10000-30000 rpm to suit all your applications.
- Has a slim and ergonomic design
- Has a soft start motor
- Has a small base that allows the bit to reach the corners
- Powerful motor with variable speeds
- Features on/off button switch on the front of the router so you can easily flip with a thumb.
- It doesn’t have a dust shield for the power switch
- The sight lines are poor
10. SKIL 1817 120V 1-3/4 HP Fixed Base Router
Another great wood router that you can use to enhance your woodworking skills is the SKIL 1817 120V. This is a nice pick if you want a router for rounding, cutting basic wood patterns or simply forming smooth edges.
Holding the tool during operation feel very comfortable, thanks to the comfortable soft grip handles.
It utilizes Skil’s soft start technology which ensures that it provides smooth starts and fewer kickbacks. The router is also designed with a micro-fine adjustment that gives very precise cuts.
Another feature that you will enjoy when you are using the tool is LED sight light especially if the work area is not properly lit. This means that you can still see properly for an easy operation.
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- Designed with comfortable soft-grip handles
- Its micro-fine adjustment makes cuts precise
- The soft start technology ensures the kickbacks are less
- Great price and quality
- The soft start technology makes the router not to work with many variable speeds router control boxes.
The type of tools that you have in your workshop highly determines the outcome of your work. Therefore, if you are looking forward to creating cuts and add decorations on wood board, then you must go for the best wood routers.
These will benefit you a lot as a woodworker and these eventually will boost your woodworking skills.
If you pick any of these tools that I have covered, then you can consider any as a number one pick. They are quality routers with excellent features that suit both the beginners and professional woodworkers.